Five years ago, I followed a whole food, gluten free, refined sugar free way of eating.
I’ve always wanted to make it plantbased as well but my family makes ultra delicious meals that I thought I couldn’t live without.
I’ve done regular detox and eliminated fish/meat/poultry and dairy from my diet for about 21 days for each detox program but I would always go back to my favorites after the cleanse.
This year however, after watching Game Changers, I went plantbased overnight but only aimed for a 40 Day goal. Now it has been 200+ days and loving my choice of eating purely whole food and plant based as well as staying gluten free and refined sugar free.
FIRST MOVE: PANTRY ORGANIZATION
The first thing I did was to clean and organize our pantry removing pantry supplies that will not support my goal. The first thing I stocked up on are spices. They definitely helped me create culinary magic. These spices took my cooking through a taste of different cuisines - Mediterranean, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Mexican... Yes like a whole new world of flavors.
I also got beans, nuts and different types of gluten-free flours as well as refined sugar free sweeteners for making desserts.
A THEME FOR EVERY MEAL
To make my transition to plantbased exciting and satisfying, I prepared our meals by having daily themes. Our first day was Japanese. Day 2 was Thai. Day 3 was Spanish. Day 4 was American. Day 5 Italian. Day 6 Mediterranean. Day 7 Filipino.
We reached Day 40 and I never really ran out of varieties to prepare while learning so much modern and traditional ways of cooking.
HAVING A PARTNER
Since I am also preparing food for my daughter who agreed to go plantbased with me, I got extra motivated to prepare good food. Her thumbs up and 5 star ratings gave me inspiration and fulfillment. Even my whole family started eating our food too!
SETTING CLEAR GOALS
By having a time-bound goal, a meal plan and curiosity to create new dishes, we were able to go through our 40 day transition with a bliss. Although there were days when it was challenging like eating out with friends or being pressed for time to cook. The most challenging for us were those times of craving for the textures of food that has been ingrained on our tastebuds throughout our life!
But having a goal in mind made us stick to our plan.
CHOOSING A PLANTBASED LIFESTYLE
I’ve benefited so much from this journey that I chose to stay on it.
1. I felt lighter and stronger in my yoga practice and exercises.
2. I felt calmer and more attuned with what I eat.
3. I got more curious with how I can nourish my family well. I even got my Vegan Nutritionist Diploma to make sure we are properly nourished.
4. I got to express my love and creativity in another avenue which is food and meal preparations.
5. I have an ever growing curiosity to create easy-to-prepare, delectable, whole food, plant based meals.
HOT TIPS TO KICKSTART YOUR PLANTBASED JOURNEY
1. Pre-made healthy sauces that you can use for everyday quick cooking
2. Pre-mixed natural spices that you can use any time you cook
3. Pantry staples like beans, nuts, noodles, flours, natural sweeteners
4. Fridge favorite like tofu, leafy greens and other veggies
5. Meal planning by designing it yourself or referring to online weekly meal plans designed by Vegan Nutritionists and customizing it according to your needs
I hope that this will inspire you to start on your plantbased journey as well or motivate you to stay on it.
Be healthy. Be well. Stay nourished and inspired.